The Babylon Search malware is deemed to be one of the most widespread browser extensions. The malicious domain initiates its inbuilt behavioral pattern once it invades the system. Often distributed via third party apps, Babylon browser hijacker infects the default browser and makes unwanted modifications to its settings. The sole motive of this browser add-on is to advertise sponsored products & services to generate unscrupulous revenue.
- Babylon Browser Hijacker- Threat Behavior
- Babylon Search Engine Description
- How does Babylon Browser Hijacker invade the system?
- Privacy Policies of Babylon Browser Hijacker
- Threat Summary
- Tips to Remove Babylon Browser Hijacker
- STEP A : Remove malicious extensions from your browser
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- STEP B: Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 and 10
- STEP C: How To Reset Your Browser
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected from Babylon Browser Hijacker –
Babylon Browser Hijacker- Threat Behavior
Babylon Browser Hijacker exhibits multitude of pernicious traits such as:
- It exhibits rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system. The sole motive behind this is to evade detection by installed antivirus programs. Moreover, this opportunity is leveraged to embezzle information about installed hardware, operating system, regional settings & system settings of victimized PC. This information is used to optimize the ongoing attack or any other future attacks on the system.
- Babylon Toolbar alters browser settings & replaces the home page, search engine & new tab with https://isearch.babylon.com/ or https://search.babylon.com/. This interferes with the user experience by displaying inaccurate results. For instance, search results are directed to third party web pages that may be malicious & land users to array of negatives.
- Babylon Browser Hijacker sieges browser screen with intrusive ads & pop-ups. The malware pervasively tracks important information related to user interest & identity. This is done to display relevant ads & links that attain undivided attention of users. It’s a mere trick to increase the probability of getting the ad clicked to generate pay-per click revenue.
Babylon Search Engine Description
The UI (User Interface) of the Babylon Search Engine is nothing like popular legitimate browsers. It is absurd & unpleasing.
- Unlike other renowned browsers, it displays limited search results which are in most cases irrelevant.
- The actual Search result is displayed in two stages. First, the search result is directed to https://isearch.babylon.com/. Clicking on the relevant link on the displayed searches redirects users to another list of results. Users after clicking on these get something to read or watch which is not necessarily what they had sought for.
- Click on user search results redirects them to a New tab. The back & forward arrows in this new tab are disabled. Hence, the only provision for users to navigate to earlier search results is via homepage which is really confusing.
It doesn’t end here! The Images & Videos tab displayed in the toolbar of this preposterous search engine are futile. Though they are functional, clicking on these doesn’t make any sense as the result is void. There is no provision to get images or videos of your searches.
Though there is a lot to explore about this insignificant search engine, it’s no use. Since the basic purpose of using a browser is not achieved by Babylon Toolbar, to discuss further about its weird behaviors is irrational.
How does Babylon Browser Hijacker invade the system?
The cyber-criminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Privacy Policies of Babylon Browser Hijacker
The privacy policies of Babylon browser hijacker states that the nasty redirector gathers following user information:
- Operating system
- Browser Version
- Your Country
- Browsing Data
- History & Cookies & a lot more.
All these information are highly sensitive and access to it can be used against the user to extort them. Hence users are strictly recommended to remove all the instances of Babylon Browser Hijacker as soon as it is detected in the system.
Browsers Affected: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox
Targeted Operating System: Windows
Category: Browser Hijacker
- Homepage, new tab and search engine are replaced with https://isearch.babylon.com
- Appearance of sponsored ads and pop-ups
- Unnatural network activities & occasional sluggishness of the infected device.
Tips to Remove Babylon Browser Hijacker
STEP A : Remove malicious extensions from your browser
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “Babylon Browser Hijacker ”
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click the trash icon to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “Babylon browser hijacker ”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and reopen the browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once done.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option. ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions related to Babylon browser hijacker and click on the remove button.
- In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
- Open Internet Explorer, Click on the Gear icon ( ) which is at the top right corner of the Internet Explorer Window.
- From the newly appeared dropdown menu, click on the option that reads Manage Add-ons.
- A new window will appear on the screen. On this window choose the option that reads Toolbar and Extensions. Under the Show option, select the option that reads “All add-ons”. This option will allow you to see all the browser extensions.
- Select the Extension related to Babylon browser hijacker and click on the Disable button which is at the bottom right of the computer screen.
STEP B: Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
- On the file explorer toolbar, click on the View
- In the Show/hide section, Click on the “Hidden items” checkbox.
- Click on the options button.
- Under folder options, click on the “View” tab.
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” option.
- Click the “OK” button to save your changes.
STEP C: How To Reset Your Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three horizontal lines () which are at the top right corner of the computer screen.
- A Drop down menu will be displayed. On this menu click on the “Help” () button as shown in the image below. The Help menu will be displayed on the screen.) button as shown in the image below. The Help menu will be displayed on the screen.
- From this menu click the option that reads “Troubleshooting information“. A new tab will open up with the Troubleshooting information.
- On the Troubleshooting Information page, click on the button that reads “Refresh Firefox” as shown in the image below.
- The “Refresh Firefox” message box will pop up on the screen. On this message box click on the “Refresh Firefox” button.
- After this Firefox will close itself and a new window will be displayed which will list the information that is imported. Click on the option that reads “Finish” to complete the task.
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) which is at the top right corner of the computer screen. A drop down menu will appear on the screen. From this menu choose the option that reads “Settings”. ) which is at the top right corner of the computer screen. A drop down menu will appear on the screen. From this menu choose the option that reads “Settings”.
- The Chrome’s settings window will be displayed on the screen. On this screen scroll through the bottom of the page and click on the option that reads “Advanced option” as shown below.
- The Advanced setting options will be displayed on the screen. Scroll through the list of options till you find the “ Reset browser settings” section. Click on the icon as shown below.
- The reset dialogue box will pop up on the screen. From this dialogue box click on the button that reads “Reset”.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon ( ) which is at the top right corner of the browser screen. A drop down menu will be displayed on the screen. From this drop down menu, click on the option that reads “Internet options”. ) which is at the top right corner of the browser screen. A drop down menu will be displayed on the screen. From this drop down menu, click on the option that reads “Internet options”.
- The “Internet options” dialogue box will be displayed. Click on the “Advanced” tab. In the Advanced tab click on the button that reads “Reset” as shown in the image below. The “Reset Internet Explorer Settings” section will be displayed on the screen. Now click on the button that reads “Reset” .Precautions: In this dialogue box make sure to uncheck the “Delete Personal settings” option to save your passwords and other important data.
- When it’s done, click on the button that reads “Close” to complete the task. Now close and reopen your browser.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected from Babylon Browser Hijacker –
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Hitman Pro and BULL GUARD so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.