Fastcanary.com Adware is a rogue application. The adware domain developed by Russian cyber criminals redirects user to spam websites continuously that may scam users for money. The UI displays a famous Mario game with a “Start Game Button” on it. However clicking on the button has no impact on the UI.
When the domain is opened, based on the browser settings an alert is displayed seeking user permission to block or allow the notifications by Fastcanary.com adware.
If user clicks on the ‘Block Button’, each click runs a malicious script redirecting users to other scam websites displaying the same UI.
The details of the script running in the background can be noted by following the navigation below:
Press F12 key-> click on ‘Sources’ tab-> Expand the ‘Top’ field and finally click on the second last entry to view the source code of the malicious script that runs.
The list of web url to which user is redirected include:
The malicious script may make your system susceptible to other PC infections that may infect the system with other malicious programs that put user data security and privacy at risk. The malware is responsible for causing chaos to user infected web browsers.
The domain does nothing other than risking the user with the array of negatives. Users are therefore required to get rid of this nasty system infection ASAP.
How to track FASTCANARY.COM Adware using command prompt?
The route of nasty system infection can be tracked using command prompt. Follow the steps below to track the route:
- Open command Prompt with elevated permission.
- Type the command “tracert fastcanary.com” and press Enter.
The result shows IP address depicting the route of fastcanary.com adware.
The last IP address depicts the place where the virus heads towards. The data reveals it heads to server located in Newark in New Jersey, United States.
How does FASTCANARY.COM Adware invade the system?
The infection is distributed via pop- ups and advertisements displayed on popular websites like torrents download, porn websites etc that users visit the most. Click on the ads makes the malware surge on the computer posing a threat to user security and privacy.
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Browsers Affected: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox
Targeted Operating System: Windows
Symptoms: Continuous redirection to malicious web pages that run a malicious script in the background, occasional sluggishness of the infected device.
Steps to remove FASTCANARY.COM Adware manually from windows and your Browser
Before removing the infection from the system, remove the redirected web pages that are malicious. To do so follow the below navigation:
For Chrome Browser:
- Open the browser where the malicious domain FASTCANARY.COM was opened
- Go to Customize and Control options
- Click on Settings and scroll down the browser screen and click on ‘Advanced’.
- Under Privacy and Security click on Content settings
- From the list that appears click on Notifications.
- Find the malicious urls from the list and remove it by clicking on More Actions icon->Click on Remove.
To restart the system to Safe Mode with Networking, if already switched ON then follow the below steps:
Windows 7/ Vista/ XP
- Click on Windows icon present in the lower left corner of the computer screen.
- Select and click Restart.
- When the screen goes blank, Keep tapping F8 Key until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- With the help of arrow keys on keyboard, Select Safe Mode with Networking option from the list and press the Enter Key. The system will then restart to Safe Mode with Networking.
5 Click on the username and enter the password (if any).
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press and hold the Shift Key and simultaneously click on the windows icon present in the lower left corner of your computer screen.
- While the Shift key is still pressed click on the Power button and then click on Restart.
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings.
- When the Startup Settings screen appears which is the first screen to appear after restart, select and click on Enable Safe Mode with Networking. The system will then restart to Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on the username and enter the password.