- Understanding the malicious .roldat Virus
- Threat Summary
- Distribution Technique
- Threat Behavior of .roldat Virus
- Removal guidelines for .roldat Virus
- STEP A: Reboot your system to safe mode
- Windows 7/ Vista/ XP
- Windows 10 / Windows 8
- STEP B: Remove the malicious files in Configuration Settings
- Windows 7
- Windows 10
- STEP C: Delete the suspicious file from Command Prompt
- STEP D: Restore system Files & Folders
- Method 1 using Control Panel
- Method 2 using Command Prompt
- Method 3 : Directly type ‘rstrui’ in the search box
- Tips to prevent your system from .roldat Virus
Understanding the malicious .roldat Virus
A new variant of STOP ransomware has recently been discovered by the Security Experts, the developers named it ‘Roldat Ransomware’. The malicious software is created to trouble the users by encrypting their important files. Once, it infiltrates the system, entire data and files are hijacked. Eventually, it locked the targeted files with its unique extension – “.roldat”. Hackers have a strong financial motive behind this encryption. The destructive software targets the files, which are commonly found in any system these days. Such as documents, images & even backup files.
Upon successful infiltration, it creates a text file – ‘_readme.txt’ in each folder having .roldat file. This text file is nothing but the ransom demanding note! Hackers demand hefty ransom in the form of Bitcoins, to restore data. The ransom demanding file pop-up automatically whenever you try to open .roldat file.
We recommend you to remove this malicious software ASAP. Thinking about the effective removal steps? Below are the easiest steps on how to remove .roldat virus from your system.
|Targeted Bowser||Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox|
Roldat ransomware is a newly discovered threat for computer users. Alike other ransomware-type files, roldat virus uses common tactics of distribution.
One of the easiest ways by which, .roldat land on your system is, via spam campaigns. In such attack campaigns, cyber criminals send an e-mail with malicious attachments. The e-mail is made to appear legitimate however, it is a spam attack on you. The attachments are usually in word documents, PDF or zip files. This is the second major reason, why user does not hesitate before opening these attachments. First is that, the subject line of such e-mails, made them appear legitimate. Once, you open this attachment, the malicious file triggers the ransomware payload and infects your system with roldat extension virus. Apart from the malicious advertisements, developers insert hyperlinks in the content of e-mail. These links redirects the user to some untrustworthy sites.
Usually, when you open the attached file/link, it asks for the permission to run the scripts. This script is nothing but the ‘macros’, through which the infection follows.
Threat Behavior of .roldat Virus
The moment this ransomware gains access of your system, it results in malicious modifications. Since the algorithm used is same as the infamous STOP ransomware, the ultimate aim of roldat ransomware is to encrypt data.
In order to successfully encrypt the files, the malicious ransomware uses strong algorithms such as AES, RSA and Salsa20. Once, the files are infected by roldat extension virus, it generates a unique key to decrypt file. Furthermore, it appends ‘.roldat’ extension to the file name, which makes it unusable.
Once, it makes itself comfortable in your system, it scans every inch of your computer to locate the targeted files. .roldat STOP ransomware looks for the files which are most commonly found in most of the PCs. Documents, Databases, Images, Videos, Music and Backups are a few targeted files.
At the end, .roldat ransomware drops a ransom demanding file, which aims at extorting money from the victim users. Roldat ransomware asks for hefty amount of ransom in exchange of the private key. Sum equal to $980 (in bitcoins) is demanded to decrypt your locked files. Moreover, you can avail a discount of 50% in the ransom amount, only if you contact the hackers within 72 hours of the .roldat attack. The price will be reduced to $490 (in bitcoins). However, paying the asked ransom amount does not ensure .roldat file recovery. Hence, instead of funding the cyber criminals, focus to remove .roldat ransomware.
Keep in mind, paying the ransom is not the only way out! In fact, it encourages cyber crooks to initiate a new ransomware project. Hence, here are a few possible solutions to delete .roldat file virus. Scroll down for easy and simple steps to remove .roldat extension:
Removal guidelines for .roldat Virus
STEP A: Reboot your system to safe mode
Windows 7/ Vista/ XP
- Click on Windows icon present in the lower left corner of the computer screen.
- Select and click Restart.
- When the screen goes blank, Keep tapping F8 Key until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- With the help of arrow keys on keyboard, Select Safe Mode with Networking option from the list and press the Enter Key. The system will then restart to Safe Mode with Networking.
5 Click on the username and enter the password (if any).
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press and hold the Shift Key and simultaneously click on the windows icon present in the lower left corner of your computer screen.
- While the Shift key is still pressed click on the Power button and then click on Restart.
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings.
- When the Startup Settings screen appears which is the first screen to appear after restart, select and click on Enable Safe Mode with Networking. The system will then restart to Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on the username and enter the password.
STEP B: Remove the malicious files in Configuration Settings
- Type “Msconfig” in search box / Run Box, select it and press Enter.
- Click on “Services” Tab and click on “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Select .roldat Ransomware from the list of remaining services and disable it by removing the tick mark from the checkbox and click on Apply button.
- Click on the next tab – “Startup”.
- Find any blank or suspicious entry or the entry with .roldat Ransomware mentioned and remove the check mark.
- Click on Apply button and then click on OK.
- Click on the next tab – “Startup”.
- Take the mouse cursor to ‘Open task Manager‘ link and click on it. This opens the Task Manager window.
- Find any blank or suspicious entry or the entry with .roldat Ransomware mentioned and click on it.
- Then click on Disable button.
STEP C: Delete the suspicious file from Command Prompt
Once the system starts, ensure to use an account with administrative privilege to access Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
After the user enters admin credentials, Command prompt window is displayed wherein you are entitled to enter the below commands:
- Type the command “sc delete .roldat Ransomware ” in the command prompt and press Enter.
- Type “exit” to exit the command prompt and restart the system in safe mode with command prompt.
STEP D: Restore system Files & Folders
Method 1 using Control Panel
- Click on the ‘Start’ button on the taskbar. This will open the Start menu.
- Click on the ‘Control Panel’ button in the Start menu. This will open the control panel window.
- In the Control Panel window, click on the ‘View by:’ button on the top right. Select the Large Icon option
- In the control Panel window click on the ‘Recovery Icon’. This will open a window that will ask ‘Restore the computer to an earlier point in time’.
- Click on the ‘Open system restore’ button. This will open the ‘system restore ’window where you need to click on the Next Button.
- Select the restore point that is prior the infiltration of .roldat Ransomware . After doing that, click Next.
- This will open the ‘Confirm your restore point’ dialog box. Click on Finish button. This will restore your system to a previous restore point before your system was infected by .roldat Ransomware .
Method 2 using Command Prompt
- Type cmd in the search box and click on the command prompt to open the Command Prompt window. box and clicking on it.
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.(Ensure that you in the system32 directory of Windows folder in C Drive)
- Now type rstrui and press Enter again.
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of .roldat Ransomware. After doing that, click Next.
- This will open the ‘Confirm your restore point’ dialog box. Click on Finish button. This will restore your system to a previous restore point before your system was infected by .roldat Ransomware.
Method 3 : Directly type ‘rstrui’ in the search box
- Type ‘Rstrui’ in the search box present on the task bar. This will open the System restore dialog box.
Continue to follow steps 4 & 5 of Method 2 to restore the System Files and settings.
Tips to prevent your system from .roldat Virus
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Kaspersky and Vipre so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.